The person hired for the position of Health and Safety Engineer will help lead the plant in Safety and Health programs. This experienced Safety Engineer will use engineering skills, procedures, standards, and industry awareness to maintain programs to ensure safety for employees in our processing facility and during capital improvement construction projects. This individual will initiate, implement and complete projects and activities leading to improved Health and Safety methods and processes.
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Assist or lead in environmental, health, and safety compliance and management system functions and activities.
- Minimize safety incidents through implementation of proactive and innovative programs.
- Provides assistance and guidance to plant supervision to identify and correct workplace hazards consistent with company and regulatory requirements.
- Develop and deliver training and/or training tools on all relevant internal EH&S initiatives and regulatory requirements including but not limited to lockout-tag out, machine-guarding, ergonomics, confined space, heat stress, chemical exposure, and hearing conservation.
- Lead, conduct and/or manage EH&S management system and compliance audits of company facilities to ensure compliance with internal requirements as well as Federal, state, and local health and safety regulations.
- Support in plant EH&S audits.
- Guide and lead activities to implement change in design of machinery, equipment, and work methods to provide for ergonomic improvements for the operators.
- Assist supervisors and colleagues in preparing incident reports, in the identification of root causes and the implementation of corrective actions.
- Coordinate and/or support the injury management process including, but not limited to, incident investigation, medical management, return to work and workers' compensation claims management.
- Ensure compliance with all company and federal/state/local environmental and safety programs, policies, and procedures through inspections, investigations, training & development.
- Maintains records on regulatory and non-regulatory health and safety inspections and correspondences. Responsible for completing OSHA recordkeeping requirements and federal/state mandated filings.
- Assign clear responsibilities for Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) and hold all plant colleagues accountable for enforcement.
- Design and recommend improvements to process to reduce emissions or discharges
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Science, Health, & Safety, or Industrial Hygiene or a related field from an accredited university.
- Minimum of 8 years of EHS experience in an industrial processing environment.
- Proficient computer skills.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills. Able to work closely with plant management and production employees.
- Detailed orientation with strong prioritization, organization, and project management skills.
- Ability to self-direct.